Habari Za Nyumbani–on jambonewspot.com

Visit www.jambonewspot.com…..your community website for more

Archive for June 9th, 2010

Jobs abroad scheme to benefit 10,000

Posted by Administrator on June 9, 2010

Up to 10,000 young people will be sent to work abroad under a government plan aimed at solving unemployment.

The Jobs Abroad Programme hoped to export labour and hit the 10,000 mark by the end of next year, Sports and Youth Affairs minister Hellen Sambili said.

Prof Sambili said 390 young people had so far been employed in Iraq and Afghanistan under the programme established in 2008.

Applications are made through the Youth Fund, recruitment agencies or district youth offices.

She was answering Nyaribare Chache MP Robert Monda (Narc) who sought to know what the State was doing about unemployment among the youth.

In a related matter, Mr Ababu Namwamba (Budalang’i, ODM) wanted to know what measures the government was taking to ensure not only the success of the programme but also the safety of the young people.

“There’s a Cabinet memo to ensure that our people abroad are not exploited,” said Prof Sambili.

MPs were also concerned that most of those who had got the jobs were men, contrary to the official policy of ensuring that at least a third of those hired were female.

The minister said this was so because most of the jobs available were menial—electricians, security guards, carpenters, cooks and mechanics—which can only be comfortably done by men.

War-torn areas

Mr Njoroge Baiya (Githunguri, Safina) and Mr Eugene Wamalwa (Saboti, PNU) queried the rationale of sending Kenyans to war-torn areas.

“The government set up the Kazi kwa Vijana programme and had our youths dig trenches and dams. Now, they are sending our young people to theatres of war,” said Mr Wamalwa.

But Prof Sambili denied any ill intention of sending young people to dangerous places, saying: “We value our young people, they are our resources.”

Reports by Alphonce Shiundu and John Ngirachu

Advertisements

Posted in Kenya | Comments Off on Jobs abroad scheme to benefit 10,000

Police looking for teacher who recruited killer

Posted by Administrator on June 9, 2010

By NATION Correspondent
Posted Wednesday, June 9 2010 at 21:21

Detectives were last night trying to trace a female teacher whom the serial killer, Philip Onyancha, claimed recruited him into a blood-sucking cult.

Detectives piecing together 17 murders in different parts of the country want to question the woman, believed to have once taught at a school in Mahiga, Othaya.

There was drama as Mr Onyancha, a security guard, was taken to Nyeri town to identify the lodgings where he killed one of his victims in April 2007.

Drank her blood

Police had a hard time controlling angry wananchi who wanted to lynch him as he led them to the lodging.

Mr Onyancha, 33, said he killed a 20-year-old woman at the lodging on Gakere Road and drank her blood.

He easily identified room number 13 at Ngurunga Bar where he said he had negotiated with the watchman and paid Sh200 instead of the Sh350 fee, on condition he did not get a receipt.

The woman was found with her throat slit. Even after arresting the watchman, police made no headway because no identity records had been left.

Mr Onyancha freely chatted with journalists as police officers waited for managers of the lodgings to open the gate to the rooms.

The former guard said he had schooled in Kericho where his parents worked in a tea farm and later at Kenyatta High School, Mahiga near Nyeri where his brother worked for the Kenya Power and Lighting Company.

Mr Onyancha refused to disclose details of his family only saying he had many siblings. He also explained why he had refused to pick his KCSE certificate at his former school.

“That has only a grade C-. After leaving school I enrolled privately for KCSE and have another certificate with Grade B-. Why would I need the C- certificate,” he said as he waited to be ushered into the Ngurunga rooms.

Source: Daily Nation

Posted in Crime, Kenya | 2 Comments »

Ministers criticise Obama over push for proposed law

Posted by Administrator on June 9, 2010

By Beauttah Omanga

Cabinet ministers opposed to the Proposed Constitution launched their secretariat with an attack on President Barack Obama, accusing the US of using its power to influence the referendum. The ministers described the proposed law as a recipe for chaos.

Higher Education Minister William Ruto and his Special Programmes counterpart Naomi Shaban accused the Obama administration of intimidating Kenyans into submission.

“There is no difference in what the Obama Presidency is dangling to Kenyans in order to pass a new constitution to the dishing of cash handouts to voters during election time by politicians,” said Mr Ruto.

He said it was strange Obama was tying his next visit to Kenya to a new constitution. “President Obama does not need a new constitution to visit his grandmother,” he said.

Dr Shaban, who was the chief guest at yesterday’s launch of Red Card Centre at Upper Hill, Nairobi, said: “We can’t stoop that low to a point that US wants to tell us what to do in order to get any help from them. They are giving Kenyans false promises.”

Assistant Ministers Wilfred Machage and Fred Kapondi said the new constitution, if passed, would lead to ethnic clashes.

Emotive issue

Said Dr Machage: “All communities will hide under the new law to claim their ancestral lands and my own Kurias will claim their own even if it means using force.”

Mr Kapondi said the Sabaots from his Mt Elgon constituency will also reclaim all their ancestral lands.

Shaban said the new law would be a source of family break-ups because it will promote gender equality.

“Women will easily accept marriage by wealthy men and after a short while file for divorce with a view of sharing 50-50 of the husband’s wealth,” warned Shaban.

Ruto said: “The land issue is very emotive and we don’t want a constitution that makes it a source of conflicts for as long as it will exist. This constitution is now a contest between those who merely want change against those of us in ‘No’ who want meaningful change.”

Cabinet Minister Samuel Poghisio, MPs Mithika Linturi, Kiema Kilonzo, Jebii Kilimo and former MP Njeru Kathangu faulted the Committee of Experts for causing changes in the draft constitution, which were now contentious.

Mrs Christine Miller, speaking on behalf of Central Province ‘No’ supporters, said: “Majority of the Central Kenya MPs are fully behind ‘No’ that is why they have never bothered to hold a rally in the region.”

The group said it would hold countrywide rallies to educate Kenyans on the “dangers of passing the draft law”.

Bishop Wilfred Lai said the ‘Yes’ team was full of liars “because they are not telling Kenyans the truth that the new law once passed, will never be amended since we will not have funds for another referendum”.

Dr Tom Namwamba, a university lecturer, will head the ‘No’ secretariat while lawyer Hassan ole Kamwaro will handle its legal matters.

 Source: http://www.standardmedia.co.ke/InsidePage.php?id=2000011293&cid=4&ttl=Ministers%20criticise%20Obama%20over%20push%20for%20proposed%20law

Posted in Kenya | 1 Comment »

Kenyan serial killer targeted 100 victims

Posted by Administrator on June 9, 2010

Thirty-two year-old Philip Onyancha who confessed to the murder of 19 people and intended to kill 100. Capital FM

Thirty-two year-old Philip Onyancha who confessed to the murder of 19 people and intended to kill 100. Capital FM

NAIROBI, Kenya, Jun 9 – A former G4S security guard who has confessed murdering at least 19 people has now revealed that he was targeting to kill 100 people.
Thirty-two year-old Philip Onyancha who has already given police the name of his accomplice says he was recruited into a cult that convinced him he would become one of the wealthiest men in Kenya if he killed and drank the blood of his victims.

“It is an urge you develop once you are initiated, and since I got into this thing, I have always had a passion to kill,” Mr Onyancha who spoke under heavy police guard told Capital News.

“My target was 100 people… once I achieved that I could have been very rich.  It is that power of conviction in me, but all that is now gone because I have confessed,” he added.

During police interrogation and interviews with journalists, the suspect said he planned to accomplish his mission in a span of five years and was mainly targeting women and children under 10 because they are weak.

“I always went for the weak in the society.  You know women and children are always weak and vulnerable which makes them an easy target,” he said in fluent English.

Mr Onyancha who was detained last week said he was grateful to the police for arresting him because it had helped him speak against the “evil spirits” which have been haunting him.

“I feel relieved, I am happy to have confessed all this.  It was troubling… it was not my wish to do these evils, I know it is a crime to kill and it is against the 10 commandments of God, but you see I was not myself,” he said amid pauses to catch a glimpse of a surging crowd that wanted to lynch him as he took police around Thika.

“I even told these police officers when they came to arrest me… they were all armed and they thought I was armed.   I told them I am just a simple guy, and if they have managed to arrest me, then they are too powerful.  I thought so because I was very sure nobody could ever arrest me, I had this power of conviction out of spirits I got when I was initiated,” he said.

“I regret a lot.  I share the pain with the grieving families but then it was not my fault, it was the spirits in me.  I will not repeat what I have been doing because my initiators warned me that if I ever reveal it to anyone or confess, I lose the spirits and the power,” he said “I am now back to my senses.”

“I have killed a total of 19 people, and I can recall each incident very well, it is like it occurred today, I can take you to all the scenes, the only problem is that in some cases the bodies are not there like in the lodgings where I killed women,” he said.

The Head of the Special Crime Prevention Unit (SCPU) Richard Katola said they were equally shocked at the revelations made by the suspect.

“He has helped us a lot in resolving murder cases which were a mystery to us.  We are still investigating the cases and will take him to court once we are through with him,” he said.

Since Sunday, the suspect has been showing police where he dumped bodies of his victims and investigators have been able to recover skeletons, skulls and clothes of the victims.

He first took the police to a forest near Lenana School on Sunday where the skull and clothes of a nine-year-old boy he confessed to have killed three months ago were found.

On Tuesday, he took police to Naivasha where he showed them a spot where he dumped the bodies of a woman and a young boy he killed while working as a guard at a flower farm.

Police were only able to recover clothes and sandals of the young boy which were subsequently identified positively by his mother.

Later that evening, he led police to the Nairobi Water and Sewerage Company (NWSC) offices in Karen shopping centre where the decomposed body of a woman he confessed to have killed in November 2008 was found.

Employees at the firm were shocked to learn that there has been a decomposing body stashed in the ceiling for nearly two years.

“I just lured her like the other victims and she followed me.  I asked her to climb with me (up the ceiling) and she did.  That is when I strangled her and sucked blood.  I was very sure the body would not be found unless I showed people,” he said and added that he committed the offence when he worked there as a security guard.

The woman’s brother Mathew Korir identified the clothes found at the scene as those of her sister Catherine Chelangat, 32, who went missing in November 2008.

“We have been looking for her.  We even made radio announcements with no success. On several occasions, a man called and demanded a ransom of Sh30, 000 and we paid part of the money before the mobile phone they were using went off.  We even reported the matter to the police.”

On Wednesday morning, the suspect led police to the residential compound of a diplomat on Riverside Drive where another decomposing body of a woman was recovered in a septic tank, along with her personal belongings.

“I lured her into the compound sometimes in 2008 and I killed her.  Her purse is in that septic tank and the body is in that other one,” he told police who immediately opened the septic tanks and found the remains before heading to Thika to identify lodgings where he confessed to have killed four commercial sex workers in March this year.

Business came to a standstill in the town when he led police to Room 5 at the second floor of Suitable Bar and Restaurant and confessed to have killed two women on diverse dates in March.

“I just rented the room and I invited a woman whom I killed and left her body there. It was recovered the following day and it was all over in the news. I did not panic at all because my spirits convinced me I will not be caught.  After sometime, I did the same to another woman,” he said and directed police to yet another room at Rwambogo Bar and Restaurant located on Nkrumah Road where he confessed to have killed another woman.

Police said they would visit more scenes in Nyeri and Nakuru where the suspect has pledged to reveal more.

Source: http://www.capitalfm.co.ke/news/Kenyanews/Kenyan-serial-killer-targeted-100-victims-8743.html#ixzz0qNscZgtm

Posted in Crime, Kenya | 1 Comment »

 
%d bloggers like this: