Habari Za Nyumbani–on jambonewspot.com

Visit www.jambonewspot.com…..your community website for more

Archive for October 20th, 2011

Local travellers to start paying Kenya Airways in US dollars

Posted by Administrator on October 20, 2011

File | NATION Passengers from Nairobi disembark from a Kenya Airways plane in Kisumu recently. From next week, the passengers will start paying fares in US dollars.

File | NATION Passengers from Nairobi disembark from a Kenya Airways plane in Kisumu recently. From next week, the passengers will start paying fares in US dollars.

Kenyans will start paying for domestic flights in US dollars from next week, as Kenya Airways moves to protect its revenues from the volatile shilling.

The airline, which has been charging domestic flights in Kenya shillings, now says passengers will from October 24, be required to pay for tickets in dollars.

This means that passengers travelling on domestic routes, which include Mombasa, Malindi and Kisumu, will be affected, as majority of payments for these routes have relied on the Kenya shilling as opposed to international flights, whose prices are pegged on the US dollar.

Mobile money payment platforms that are currently operated in Kenya shillings could also be disrupted.

The move makes Kenya Airways the latest local firm to have lost patience with the shilling’s fluctuations.

“We always charge in dollars for international flights and this change is meant to protect the company from a fluctuating shilling,” the airline’s communications manager, Mr Chris Karanja, told Nation by phone.

However, its main domestic rival, Fly540, has chosen to stick with the shilling.

Last week, our sister publication the Business Daily reported that motor vehicle dealers, importers of heavy machinery and retailers of computers and other information technology hardware, had also started quoting prices of consumer goods in dollars, underscoring growing jitters over the weakening shilling and exposing the local unit to further erosion.

The Kenya shilling has been one of the worst performing currencies this year, after it fell to trade at Sh107 against the dollar, early this month.

However, it has turned around this week, gaining by over 8 per cent to close yesterday’s trading at Sh100.20/100.40 against the dollar but weaker than Tuesday’s close of 99.20/40.

KQ’s profits have been on the rise with last year’s results showing a 73.9 per cent increase in net profits to Sh3.5 billion, up from Sh2 billion earned in 2010.

Source: http://www.businessdailyafrica.com/Local+travellers+to+start+paying+Kenya+Airways+in+US+dollars+/-/539552/1258280/-/u6b7kx/-/index.html

Advertisements

Posted in Kenya | 1 Comment »

Napolitano: Deportation reviews to begin shortly

Posted by Administrator on October 20, 2011

Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano says a review of immigration cases will begin in two or threee weeks.

Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano says a review of immigration cases will begin in two or threee weeks.

WASHINGTON (CNN) — The Obama administration soon will begin its systematic review of the approximately 300,000 pending deportation cases, separating “high priority” cases involving criminals it wants to deport from “low priority” cases it will drop, Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano told Congress Wednesday.

The effort marks another point in an evolution of immigration enforcement away from the worksite raids of the Bush administration and towards deportations of illegal immigrants in prisons and jails.

Napolitano said a group of Homeland Security and Justice Department officials will begin a small “pilot” review of immigration cases in “two or three” weeks, and hopes to rapidly expand its efforts.

Under the policy announced last year, federal immigration officials will place the highest priority on deporting illegal immigrants who pose a danger to public safety and national security, while “administratively closing” other cases, taking into consideration a list of factors. Those factors include the person’s length of time in the United States, whether the immigrant arrived as a child, served in the military and has a spouse, child or parent who is a U.S. citizen.

DHS officials say the new policy, which gives immigration officials “prosecutorial discretion,” is similar to policies of previous administrations, and is a “common sense” approach to immigration enforcement.

But critics have blasted the policy, say that by “administratively closing” cases, the Obama administration is giving “amnesty” to illegal immigrants.

The policy is “alarming, especially for those of us who firmly believe in the rule of law,” Sen. Charles Grassley, R-Iowa, said Wednesday.

Grassley said much is unknown about the policy, including whether illegal immigrants with criminal convictions will be eligible to stay in the country, and what will happen to undocumented immigrants whose cases are closed.

“We want answers. We want transparency and accountability. We want to be part of the process,” Grassley said.

In a recent speech, Napolitano said critics ignore the fact the number of deportations has increased during the Obama administration, and that the composition of that number has “fundamentally changed.” The ranks of deported people “consist of more convicted criminals, recent border crossers, egregious immigration law violators and immigration fugitives than ever before,” she said.

Of the 396,906 individuals removed from the U.S. in fiscal 2011, nearly 55 percent had been convicted of felonies or misdemeanors. That’s an 89 percent increase of criminals from three years ago, DHS said.

Napolitano said DHS has eliminated worksite raids, saying they “did nothing to enhance public safety.” Instead, the Obama administration has focused on prosecuting employers who violate employment laws, she said.

Napolitano said the department’s focus on criminal illegal immigrants is better than “the ad hoc approach where non-criminal aliens are more likely to be removed than criminals.”

Source: http://www.cnn.com/2011/10/19/politics/napolitano-deportation-reviews/?hpt=us_c1

Posted in Immigration | Comments Off on Napolitano: Deportation reviews to begin shortly

ALL NATIONS DALLAS FALL CAMP MEETING CONFERENCE-OCT 28-30, 2011

Posted by Administrator on October 20, 2011

Posted in Announcements | Comments Off on ALL NATIONS DALLAS FALL CAMP MEETING CONFERENCE-OCT 28-30, 2011

Libya’s Gadhafi reportedly captured, killed

Posted by Administrator on October 20, 2011

Video capture as Muammar Gaddafi is killed

Video capture as Muammar Gaddafi is killed

SIRTE, Libya — Deposed Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi died of wounds suffered in his capture near his hometown of Sirte on Thursday, according to a senior National Transitional Council military official and a government minister.

The military official, Abdel Majid Mlegta, had told Reuters earlier that Gadhafi was captured and wounded in both legs at dawn on Thursday as he tried to flee in a convoy which NATO warplanes had attacked.

“He was also hit in his head,” said Mlegta. “There was a lot of firing against his group and he died.”

Rebels also said they had captured Gadhafi’s son, Mo’tassim, alive in Sirte, Arab news channels Al Jazeera TV and Al-Arabiya reported.

Asked if there was photographic evidence to prove that Gadhafi was dead, Mlegta said: “We have the footage but it is not available now.”

However, AFP news agency provided a photograph that appeared to show a wounded or dead Gadhafi. The image has not been independently verified.

Al-Arabiya said on its website Thursday that it had been granted permission to photograph Gadhafi’s body.

NBC’s Adrienne Mong, reporting from Sirte, saw a massive convoy heading West toward Misrata. Gadhafi’s body was rumored to be in the convoy, she reported, but NBC could not confirm that.

Past reports of Gadhafi family deaths or captures have later proven incorrect. NATO and the U.S. State Department said they could not confirm the reports, but were attempting to find out exactly what had happened.

Information Minister Mahmoud Shammam told the AP that he had confirmed that Moammar Gadhafi was dead from fighters who said they saw the body.

“We are checking and assessing the situation,”‘ a NATO official said. “Clearly these are very significant developments, which will take time to confirm. If it is true, then this is truly a historic day for the people of Libya.”

Military official Mlegta reported Gadhafi’s death after Libyan interim government fighters took Sirte on Thursday, extinguishing the last significant resistance by forces loyal to the former leader and ending a two-month siege.

NATO warplanes struck the convoy and hit four cars as it headed west, Mlegta said, adding that the head of Gadhafi’s armed forces Abu Bakr Younus Jabr had been killed during the attack.

A National Transitional Council spokesman said the NTC, not NATO, attacked and killed Gadhafi, Al-Arabiya reported.

Ahmed Ibrahim, a cousin and adviser of Gadhafi, was captured along with former government spokesman Moussa Ibrahim, he added.

A Libyan government fighter gave an apparently different account of Gadhafi’s capture to the one provided by Mlegta. The unnamed fighter claimed Gadhafi was hiding in a hole, shouting, “Don’t shoot, don’t shoot,” when he was caught.

        Video: The end of the ‘mad dog of the Middle East’?   

Tripoli celebrates
The sound of cars and boats in the harbor honking their horns in Tripoli, apparently as people heard the reports, threatened to drown out al-Jazeera’s television report live from the capital.

Celebratory gunfire could also be heard and people cheered in the street: “God is Great, God is Great, Gadhafi has been captured.”

Libyan fighters overran the remaining positions of Gadhafi loyalists in Sirte Thursday. The loyalists had held out two months after the fall of the capital Tripoli.

Reporters at the scene watched the final assault begin around 8 a.m. and end about 90 minutes later, the AP reported.

Just before the assault, loyalists in a convoy tried to flee the enclave down the coastal highway but they were met by gunfire from the revolutionaries, who killed at least 20 of them, according to the AP.

“Our forces control the last neighborhood in Sirte,” Hassan Draoua, a member of Libya’s interim National Transitional Council, told the AP in Tripoli. “The city has been liberated.”

NTC fighters told Reuters that a group of some 40 vehicles carrying Gadhafi forces had broken out of the city and had headed west.

Slideshow: Conflict in Libya (on this page)

“The Gadhafi people broke out west, but the revolutionaries have them surrounded and are dealing with them,” said one of the fighters, Abdul Salam Mohammad.

Meanwhile, Colonel Yunus Al Abdali, head of operations in the eastern half of Sirte, told Reuters that there were no Gadhafi forces left in Sirte.

“We are now chasing his fighters who are trying to run away,” he said.

However, troops did not allow reporters to enter the positions formerly held by the Gadhafi loyalists as what they described as mopping up operations were still under way, Reuters said.

Video: Libyan rebels unveil massive hybrid tank (on this page)Despite the fall of Tripoli on Aug, 21, Gadhafi loyalists mounted fierce resistance in several areas, including Sirte, preventing Libya’s new leaders from declaring full victory in the eight-month civil war.

Earlier this week, revolutionary fighters gained control of one stronghold, Bani Walid, and by Tuesday said they had squeezed Gadhafi’s forces in Sirte into a residential area of about 700 square yards.

        Story: Libya government says its flag flies over Bani Walid    In an illustration of how difficult and slow the fighting for Sirte was, it took the anti-Gadhafi fighters, who also faced disorganization in their own ranks, two days to capture a single residential building.

It is unclear whether Gadhafi loyalists who have escaped might continue the fight and attempt to organize an insurgency using the vast amount of weapons Gadhafi was believed to have stored in hideouts in the remote southern desert.

Regional and ethnic differences have already appeared among the ranks of the revolutionaries, possibly laying the foundation for civil strife.

The Associated Press, Reuters and NBC News contributed to this report.

Posted in Africa | 5 Comments »

 
%d bloggers like this: