Habari Za Nyumbani–on jambonewspot.com

Visit www.jambonewspot.com…..your community website for more

Immigration Q&A with Attorney Uhuru Ndirangu: Applying for Citizenship for my family

Posted by Administrator on December 15, 2011

Question:  I  came to the U.S. with my three children.  My children and I are now permanent residents.  All my children are under the age of 18 years old.  I want to apply for my whole family to become U.S. citizens.  I do not have enough money to apply for citizenship for myself and all my children at this time.  Can I apply for my own citizenship and later apply for my children to become U.S. citizens?

Answer: In general once a parent becomes a citizen all children under the age of 18 years, lawfully admitted for permanent residence and not yet married, and in the legal and physical custody of the citizen parent automatically derive U.S. citizenship.

There are a few exceptions to this rule.  Once you, the parent become a citizen, the children can get U.S. passports or complete form N-600 (Application for certificate of citizenship).  These documents will serve as evidence of citizenship for your children.  It is important that the parent become a citizen as soon as they are eligible so as to ensure their children will acquire citizenship.  This is important because noncitizens are subject to removal proceeding for various reasons.

Teenage years, especially in this country, are hard times and acquiring citizenship may protect these children from threats of having to face removal in immigration proceeding for actions that teenagers sometimes engage in.

Did you know?

That the law requires that all non-U.S. citizens, except for holders of A or G visas, report a change of address within 10 days of moving by completing a USCIS Form AR-11, Change of Address.

That  whether represented or not, aliens in proceedings before the Immigration Court must notify the Immigration Court within 5 days of any change in address or telephone number, using the Alien’s Change of Address Form (Form EOIR-33/IC). See 8 C.F.R. § 1003.15(d)(2).

Uhuru Ndirangu is an attorney licensed to practice law in Texas. He is based in Houston, Texas.


Information posted or made available on or through this site, including without limitation any responses to legal questions posted on this site, and any other comments, opinions, recommendations, answers, analysis, references, referrals or legally related content or information (collectively “Legal Information”) is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. Such Legal Information is intended for general informational purposes.  Consult an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction about your specific legal issue. Questions and answers or other postings to this site are not confidential and are not subject to attorney-client privilege.  This Legal Information does not constitute advertising or a solicitation.


One Response to “Immigration Q&A with Attorney Uhuru Ndirangu: Applying for Citizenship for my family”

  1. Tom Mutie said

    Hallo , what does it take to become a UK or US citizen ?
    How Much Money ?

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.

%d bloggers like this: