Six feared dead in Nairobi explosion
Posted by Administrator on March 10, 2012
At least six people were feared dead after a series of blasts ripped through Landhies Road near the Country Bus Station in Nairobi Saturday.
Twenty others were rushed to hospital suffering injuries following the blasts suspected to have been caused by grenades.
Nairobi provincial police boss Anthony Kibuchi, who rushed to the scene after the blasts, confirmed the deaths and said police would get to the bottom of the attacks.
Police said that the four explosives were thrown out of a moving vehicle over a stretch of about 100 metres. The vehicle is believed to have sped off towards Eastlands although witnesses were vague about the description of the vehicle since the attacks occurred after darkness had set in.
The blasts caused a scare with those who escaped unhurt scampering for cover as police and rescue services rushed to the scene to take the injured to hospital.
By 9 p.m. the Kenyatta National Hospital had received up to 20 casualties who were undergoing treatment for various injuries, Kenyatta National Hospital spokesman Simon Ithai said.
The blasts came hours after Kenya Defence Forces spokesman Colonel Cyrus Oguna cautioned Kenyans to remain vigilant as troops pursue Al-Shabaab militia inside Somalia.
At a news conference in Nairobi Saturday, Col Oguna said Al-Shabaab remnants were out to cause disharmony between the forces and the local community and urged the locals to notify security agents on suspicious people and those visiting the refugee camps.
Deputy police spokesman Charles Owino also urged Kenyans to be more vigilant, saying that though the security agents were alert, the threat was still real.
The incident is the third to rock the city centre since Kenya went into Somalia in pursuit of the Al-Shabaab militia on October 16 last year.
3 Responses to “Six feared dead in Nairobi explosion”
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.